Tuesday 9 March 2010

Whats wrong with NOOMA???


In light of Rob Bell coming to Perth to speak in the next few weeks I thought it would be fitting to post about some of his material. I firstly want to say that I have not read all his books nor have I watched all the Nooma videos. However I do have a problem with some of the stuff I have encountered. Ultimately there is no cross- that's a big problem, no cross = no Gospel!

Greg Gilbert from 9 marks reviews Nooma:

“The gospel as Bell communicates it in NOOMA runs something like this: All of us are broken, sinful, selfish, and prideful people. We carry around the baggage of our hurts, our resentments, and our jealousies. As a result we are just a shell of the kind of people God intends us to be. But our God is a loving God who accepts us and loves us just as we are. He can comfort us, heal us, and make us whole, real, authentic, living, laughing people. Not only that, but Jesus came to show us how to live revolutionary lives of love, compassion, and acceptance. By learning from his teachings and following him, we can live the full and complete lives that God intended.

And that’s about it. That’s not just the introduction that leads to an explanation of the cross, atonement, the resurrection and salvation, either. So far, at least, that’s what NOOMA holds out as "The Gospel." Full stop.
In the videos I watched, there’s almost no exposition of the cross. I only remember it being mentioned twice, once to say that Caesar killed Jesus and once when Bell says, "The cross is like God saying, ‘I don’t hold your past against you.’" Well, kind of. But that hardly exhausts the meaning of the cross, does it? At the very least, he ought to have continued that sentence by saying something like, "I don’t hold your past against you, because I held it against my Son." But then I suppose that sort of uncomfortable thought would have destroyed the smoothness of the presentation.

Even the resurrection—which usually plays an enormous role in Emergent theology—doesn’t get much emphasis here. NOOMA is all about "Jesus’ teachings," but only a select few of those. You won’t hear Bell talking about the teachings of Jesus that focus on ransom, blood, new covenants, and rebirth—much less judgment, sheep and goats, and "Depart from me." For Bell, Jesus’ teachings are apparently limited to his ethics, and Bell’s gospel is evidently limited to a call for people to embrace those ethics and "live like Jesus."

I have a theory about why Emergent church types seem to be able to communicate so well with "our generation," why they’re able to relate so well to people who have always been hostile to the gospel. You can chalk it up to some kind of "authentic" style if you want, but I’d contend that a big part of their ability to communicate the gospel without offense to people who have always been offended by it is that they leave out all the offensive parts!”


Too read the full review click here

6 comments:

  1. Ok so your pastor preaches on the cross every sunday. Every teaching has to do with the cross? Would that not leave you lacking quite a bit? Just because you have only read a few videos dont start denouncing ones belief system. Stop and think about it. Read all of his books watch all of his videos then pass judgement

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confessed that I had not read all his stuff. The stuff I have read has lead me to the decision I don't want to spend and more money on his stuff. I'm sure rob bell has some good stuff to say. However I saw the 9 marks blog and thought I should share with those who care to read.

    Re: the cross- my pastor does not always preach directly on the cross but ultimately the gospel message is presented every week in the application at the end of his sermon ad the cross is a major part of that.

    Thanks for reading 'the kid' do you blog yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog.

    Ultimately, all of scripture points to Jesus, and the cross. The danger of 'preaching' (if you'd even call it that from Bell) topical wishy washy stuff is that It's only painting a tiny part of the picture. It should always come back to the cross. It is the cross that our faith as 'Christians' centres on.

    I have watched (and own) all the noomas, and I think Kieran's point still stands. Oh, and I have read all of his books, and seen all of his bigger videos (The gods aren't angry, Everything is spiritual, etc)... and Kieran's point still stands. NOT ONCE in everything is spiritual does Bell mention the Cross.

    "You can chalk it up to some kind of "authentic" style if you want, but I’d contend that a big part of their ability to communicate the gospel without offense to people who have always been offended by it is that they leave out all the offensive parts!”

    - And lest we forget, we worship a guy who was murdered. The CROSS is an offence. THE GOSPEL is an offence.

    - Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many of the "emergent" churches are of the pick and choose the gospel type. Religion is going to offend someone somewhere no matter what you do. In my religion the Atonement of Christ is central, his resurrection is one of the most important parts of our religion. We do not however use the cross as a symbol of the religion because we celebrate the resurrected living Christ. You still have to teach all of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. intresting justin- thanks for ur comment-

    whats ur background?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks alos jonsey for ur post bro

    ReplyDelete