Wednesday 26 May 2010

The Scheme - its not funny, its real.

Over the past week or so I have had lots of conversations about BBC's documentary 'The Scheme'. People have told me they think the programme is hilarious. I beg to differ. My reaction to the show was that we MUST plant churches in areas like this. The people are so broken and lost, only Jesus can save them from their loneliness, depression, addiction and of course their sin.

This show is very real and the characters portrayed in it can be found in any scheme in Scotland and likely the UK as a whole. This documentary is a cry for missionaries to move into these areas. It is raw, it is real. We must be like Jesus who wept over Jerusalem, we must weep for these areas. If this was 2000 years ago, where would Jesus be? Would he be in the Milngavie's and Bearsden's or would he be in the Drumchapel's? I'm not looking for an answer here, I'm just pondering.

Jesus said "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." I think often folk from Scheme's are more real, the tell it how it is. So often they know they are living in a sinful world they see it on their door steps. We must take the gospel to these people. Jesus hung out with those who were looked down upon and those who were laughed at by the rest of society, we are called to also.

If you haven't seen the documentary I'd encourage you to prayerfully watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment