Sunday 7 March 2010

Some thoughts about 'Limited Atonement'

So, most of you will know that I have a keen interest in reformed theology. I got and agreed with 4 points of Calvinism, the points are:
T- total depravity
U- unconditional election
L- limited atonement
I- irresistible grace
P- perseverance of the saints

The one I had an issue with was 'Limited Atonement', about six months ago I realised it was entirely correct. The reason I had an issue with the doctrine was due to my own pride. Perhaps the name is an issue, there is nothing at all limited about the doctrine 'Limited Atonement'. Perhaps the better name as some have suggested is 'Particular Redemption'.

The Theological Dictionary defines 'Limited Atonement' as “The teaching held in Reformed (Calvinist) circles of Christianity that Jesus bore only the sins of the elect, and not that of the entire world. It maintains that the sacrifice was sufficient for all, but intended for the elect.”

The first step to me truly understanding and grasping this doctrine was in reading Mark Driscoll's 'Death by Love'. Here Driscoll defines the doctrine as Unlimited Limited Atonement he basically teaches that the Atonement was ultimately for the elect but there was benefits for everyone i.e. The church 'the elect' have brought about health care, education etc... and ultimately there has been a blessing in the atonement for everyone. However in my study and in conversations with friends I have realised what Driscoll calls 'Unlimited Limited Atonement' really is just the true doctrine of 'Particular Redemption'.

For moe info on this doctrine visit Kevin DeYoung's blog he did an awsome post on this last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment